Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mingo Creek RR 4-11-10

I entered my first road race this past Sunday. Ended up choosing to run in the Masters class since the field was smaller (18) and the distance was longer (33 miles vs 27 for the 4/5's) ... this was my warm-up for the Sea Otter 47 mile Men's Masters RR on 4/16.

Unfortunately, I arrived a bit late, missed the chance for a warm-up (mistake #1). Hung with the Masters through most of the first lap before getting dropped towards the end of the lap (mistake #2) when the tempo picked up. Finished the last 6 laps in an individual TT mode since Gary B. had advised that we were not permitted to ride with the 4/5 groups. Ended up finishing the 33 miles in 16th place with an avg speed just under 20 mph.

Overall, I got in a good workout and was happy with my speed/endurance. However, I would have liked to spend a bit more time in the group to develop some tactics and technique. I suppose more racing will help with this.

Next up ... Sea Otter on my 50th birthday !



No comments:

Post a Comment